Apologies for the unplanned blog break. I haven't been crafting much in the last week - my head cold is still hanging around so I had some more time off work.
I did manage to make it to the wedding of a high school friend on Saturday though and even wore an outfit I had made (first time for me).
I made a silk wrap-halter-apron-dress. I cut a pattern from a top that my step-Mum owns and made a couple of modifications based on some other similar tops I've seen in shops like Max, Principals and Carly Harris.
Here is a not-so-good photo of it, taken late at night, just after I'd finished sewing (I hadn't even trimmed the hanging threads). I wore it to the wedding over a short-sleeved deep v-neck black top with wide-leg black pants. From the back you only really see the skirt part of the dress and it's pretty see-through so you have to wear at least leggings under it.
You may recall that this is my second attempt at a top like this. The first attempt was consigned to the "chuck or restyle" pile. The problem the first time was that I was trying to use a rolled hem on my overlocker (serger) but because I was sewing on the bias, the hem stretched the dress out of shape. This time I went old school and used my sewing machine and did a basic double hem. I think it turned out OK. I can see myself getting a lot of wear out of this top - it looks great worn casually over jeans as well as dressed up.